Sunday, April 13, 2008

Opening credits

So, week one over at last. In fact the weekend's over too - but I guess writing this a little late won't really matter as the lovely weekend sleep and the trip to Discovery Bay made up for it. On the work front however, as things stand, it's been an interesting week, to say the least.

Friday last. I walk into office without a business suit for the first time. We have the A and C guys to thank for that. So much for you guys talking up "Mother" and getting to dress up all week. My desk guys told me they don't give a damn what I wear as long as I get the job done. So, ha ha.

Deadly Dealer's at his table already. I curse under my breath for catching the 8.30 am shuttle. Should have come earlier. DD of all people likes orderliness and punctuality.

"Hello man! What's up?". DD is unusually cheerful today. Surely he's got some unwind up his sleeve. Some client's in for it.

"Hey man. Just got in. I'm just going to look at some of the stuff you gave me last afternoon." That's it for the morning. DD is back to his three-screen-terminal. He's really fast.

Enigmatic Mandarin is also on his table. He's definitely younger than me. He never ceases to be amazed by the IIMs - as they call us here. EM is as usual very hard working, what with it being his first year here and all that. He's more discernible over the internal chat client though. MChat can speak a thousand words, at least in China. But not today. Amazingly busy everyone today is, Yoda would say.

Arbit Barter's the next one to come in. With origins similar to mine, it's not surprising he comes in as late as I do. Though he sits right across me, we have like 6 computer screens between us. AB is one of the most dedicated people on the dask, and I like to think he's smart. Not because I'm particularly impressed, but because I'd like to say that the Indian MBA education system actually makes some sense for all the rigmarole it puts you through. AB doesn't say anything more. Not of consequence anyway.

The 8.30 shuttle brings in Macabre Kolkattan. With no work experience, and just three years of graduation, he's the only other intern on the desk. You'd think I'd treat him like the new kid on the block. Turns out he's over 3 months older than me. Damn prep school for admitting me early. He comes in, with an irritated glance at me for coming early, accusing me of what can only be called relative grading. Thank god though, for someone who speaks Hindi on the desk.

"Oye kab aaya be?" MK is not pleased.

"Yaar...8 baje waali shuttle se aaya. Sab log pahunch jaate hain, achcha nahin dikhtha haina late aane se? "
I try to be diplomatic and nonchalant in my reply.

"Hmm..ab kyaa kar raha hai?"

"Bas aise hee kuch ppts study kar raha thaa yaar - tu bata, baat karna hai kyaa kisi se kaam ke liye?"
(See, I'm a good person. I waited for him :P.)

"Ruk jaa - mail check karne de."
Surprisingly, that's also the last time we talk before lunch.

The only people left to come are LIBORated Wholesaler, No Pardons and Pink Panter. No Pardons is Bossman. He's probably in Korea at the time. I've already introduced you to LW. Pink Panter is like the most fun guy ever, and he's also the guy who keeps smiling all the time. NP told me once that they had to move him to the end of the desk because everyone who was walking up and down the floor kept stopping by to talk to him. Interesting, though by looks he seems no where close to a structurer. Pink shirt. Pink Pants. Pink tie. Pink all. Pink Panter.

So long...
Midget Rogue



2 comments:

Shrutz said...

Shouldn't you be doing maths stuff?? And not discussing Chinese? ;)

-Confused Consultant!

Alpha Mu Rho said...

Who cares? Chinese are good at math anyway.