Wednesday, April 16, 2008

One night at i-bank

I don't believe in using the word 'dumb' for those who are physically handicapped - that fate pressed the mute button on them is trauma enough. Referring to them by such paronomasic words feels uncomfortable. The converse, however is not true.

That said, I don't believe I have introduced you to Dumb Charade. DC is one of the powers on my desk - and has indeed been an extremely encouraging guide and mentor. Incidentally, he's been dishing out work to Macabre Kolkattan and me ever since last week. And last night, that reached pretty much an all time high. No surprise then, that I'm typing out this post at 2 a.m. in the wee hours of the morning, after I've just returned from work.

It's 7 pm, and we've been at work for the last 11 hours. People around me are beginning to pack their bags, and the interns on other desks order food for the night. as they begin to depart. The huge hall of multi-screened computers, that resembles a school computer lab by a large extent, begins to look more like an empty trading floor. The television in front of you that shows stock prices and the whole plethora of financial news, babbles on - and no one seems to care. I begin to realize that the quest for developing this model will claim my life.

DC is the one to speak next. "You guys are really smart man. Your model is so cool man. But the client has to be convinced hard and so we need these graphs man. Can you just think of something? "

"Yes sir. We can do it sir. Sure sir. Anything sir." MK was never much of an attitude person.

I grimace. It's taken me hours to do this stuff. And I doubt DC can even go through the stuff in the time it's taken me to make it. But no. We are "IIMs". We must deliver on demand. And we must "put PPO". Cliche.

"Sir, that's theoretically possible. What we also need to keep in mind is the practical implications. We might do all the research in the world - the question is the depth of the detail to which the client will look into. That's important - else all our effort will be wasted." Words very commonly heard at B-school, and hence delivered effortlessly.

EM sitting next to me is dazed. The guy's done a degree in Economics and Politics, and has had work experience in a consulting firm. DC is, like, his godfather. DC looks at him.

"See that? These guys are really smart man. And they're fast." Ya right, I say. Some consolation.

With great effort, I drag myself to my desk and put together whatever I've done. I don't understand what the objective behind the whole exercise is, but I know the minor details - precision, some would say. And I guess that's what they want. Hoping for a let - off (we've been around for half a day, literally now!!) approach DC - saying that my work is over.

"Hey, we're done man. We've mailed you the files."

"Cool man. "
DC's eyes flit around for a second. "Hey, so now that you've done all this we need to sell this to the client - so can you kind of, put this into a presentation".

"Sure sir. Anything sir. Whatever you say sir. We'll do it sir."

I can feel the ground move from under me. The blackberry on DC's table buzzes, as both of us get irritated. For different reasons ,though.

To be continued ...


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bet that blackberry buzz was from a hot girlfriend who was waiting for him at an expensive pub in a private suite or something (while you guys slogged, incidentally). Ah. The life of a banker.

Alpha Mu Rho said...

Typical consultant comment.

Shrutz said...

Stop being envious :D

Ah. I remember GTalking away to glory when my friends at ibanks had all the messengers and most websites banned :-)

What happened to the anal banker, Hil?

Alpha Mu Rho said...

Your pic says it all. That's how we i bankers communicate. Bracket was built for, by and of us